PVC Masterclass with Patrick Ian Hartley
Explore unique and innovative fabrication and embellishing techniques in a PVC Masterclass with Artist Designer Patrick Ian Hartley.
This 1-day Masterclass will introduce you to working safely and creatively with a range of flexible, coloured, opaque and transparent industrial grade PVC’s. Heavy flexible PVC is a material which lends itself to a vast range of manipulation, embellishment and assembly techniques. Many of the processes and treatments you will learn on this 1-day Masterclass are unique to Patrick’s creative design process and have evolved over years of experimentation. The techniques you will learn on this Masterclass do not require any specialist cutting or fabrication facilities or equipment.
Patrick’s PVC Neckwear and Face Corset collections have appeared in many international fashion publications including W, AnOther Magazine, V, Garage, Vogue, Harpers Bazaar and Interview. Shot by the likes of Nick Knight, Steve Klein, Tim Walker and Styled by Simon Foxton and Jacob K, he has undertaken commissions for high profile clients including Lady Gaga, Noomi Rapace, Elizabeth Banks and most recently Rihanna for W Magazine, Styled by Edward Enninful.
Elements of the Masterclass will include:
- Demonstration in how Patrick creates a PVC neckpiece.
- An introduction to the appropriate types of PVC and suppliers.
- Basic equipment required and safe handling of PVC Cutting tools.
- Instruction in manual precision PVC cutting (vertical and angled).
- Heat forming and heat assisted recovery of damaged PVC.
- Surface treatments and heat folding hard edges and stretching.
- Heat based embossing with metal and liquid based stamps.
- A process-informed design approach.
- Creative assembly and fastening options.
- PVC Cleaning and maintenance.
The Masterclass is designed to accommodate sessions for one-to-one, small groups and large groups for organisations, Universities and other learning institutions. University Masterclass bookings will take place on site, within your departmental studio space.
All materials and equipment are included in the booking fee*.
For further enquiries regarding fees and availability, click on the button below.
*For larger groups and University bookings, PVC material provision is to be agreed between the service provider and the client and delivered to the venue direct from the supplier ahead of the event. Contact for further details.